Thursday, January 1, 2009

3-11 at the nursing home

Another horendous night at the nursing home where I work. Three admits,0ne copd,o2,abdominal distention because of no bm since the 22nd!. The nurse at the hospital said the Dr. was aware of this but discharged her anyway! After all,it was New Years Eve for Pete's sake ,he probably had a party to get to. So,I had to start trying to blow her out with 60cc of MOM every four hours. Meanwhile, my other 2 admits--oh,God! One had fallen face first at home and she looked like someone had beat her. She would not stay seated and I had to pull her wheelchair with me to give my meds. Why didn't a tech watch her you might ask? Because we were short staffed and they were in rooms taking care of other residents. We have 102 residents at my nursing home and we had 6 techs to take care of them. I have 30-31 on my unit when it is full. I am full at present.My number three admit was also a fall risk and combative. So,I had 2 to try to keep her safe while I tried to give medicines,chart,and take care of other residents needing prn pain meds and a dozen other things going on ,by pulling #2 resident along up to #3 resident and getting her to sit back down! I was ready to scream!. I did sling a chair down the hall out of frustration. Trying to do a good job,keep residents alive and safe and handle what your techs are doing is impossible. The Dept heads do nothing to help on the floor. They sit in their chairs and tell you to go do things.Yet,in orientation they tell you that they all get out on the floor and help.This is all too much for one person to bear.I fear I will stroke out on the floor and become a resident there. If I can crawl to my car and stuff a rag in the exhaust pipe I will do that before going into any nursing home .

No comments: